Monday, May 13, 2013

My "kind of" mother...

Yesterday was Mother's Day and my sister Edwina (Tita) was on my mind.
 I kept thinking of calling her, but I called her a few days ago, and we had text ed each other as well. So I just suppressed the feeling, but she was on my mind again this morning so I thought I'd write about her.

I love my sister. When Tita was 13 my mom became very ill and my dad was busy dealing with the things on his plate..so she became "kind of" a mother figure to us younger kids.
(PS. 1980 was my favorite year :) she reminds me of Brittney, one of the chipmunks girlfriends. SO CUTE!!)

I say "kind of" because she is also so many different things. She definitely could be the older caring, bossy, sarcastic, loving older sister, but she could also be something else...something sinister. Pam likes to call her evil...or does she call herself evil? I forget. Anyways ...she was pretty ruthless when it came to games. Once she was playing cards with my younger brother (Alo) and sister (Tai) and the loser had to drink 2 very large cups of dirty water. Alo does not remember this. Personally I think he blocked out the memory. I know I would've. She is also someone I would never play "Ka isu" with (Samoan card game where the loser is hit or gets cut on their nose with their remaining cards). The word "mercy" does not come to mind when I think of her playing cards. She also likes to play tricks on people. One day when I came back home to visit I asked her about this trail in Kaaawa valley (by Kualoa Ranch) where they use to film "Lost". I saw that there was a private property sign on there and before i dropped her off at work she said, "You should go there! Don't even worry about the sign, people go back there all the time". So off I went on this hike and then quickly got kicked off of the trail, by a guy yelling "Didn't you see the sign!!?? It says PRIVATE PROPERTY!!". When I called my sister to tell her she couldn't stop laughing on the phone. She said "Wow, Utah has made you soft. You actually believed me? Did you forget who I was?" :) I definitely did..for that moment at least.

Tita can also clown with the best of them. So you better have a pretty thick skin if you start a verbal and/or facebook joking feud with her.

All that being said she is also loving, and sensitive and has gotten me and I'm sure some of my other siblings and many of her friends out of more trouble than any of us care to admit. She doesn't say much about her feelings, she can be a pretty guarded person but she is someone solid that you would be able to turn to if you needed anything. She has supported me, been there for me, listened to me, encouraged me and pretty much kicked me in the arse if I needed it since we were kids.

 I love you Tita.Words can't express how much I love and appreciate all that you have done for me throughout the years. Don't know what I'd do without you.
  Happy Belated Mothers day to the best "kind of" mother I have ever had.  

No comments:

Post a Comment