Thursday, August 8, 2013

Blessed to know them...


I’m getting’ old yo. I hit 40 this year. (What the what??!!!) I always thought 40 was old…and even though my knee is giving out on me and I’m dying my hair more frequently than I have in the past (don’t trip I know y’all do it to)… I still don’t feel a day over 29..ok 30 :) All that being said time is quickly passing and I’m pondering more on what that means in a larger sense .

Our older generation is leaving us… we've also lost some of my generation who passed before we were ready to have them go.  As I think of specific people that I have known and loved that have passed on ...I think of the massive hole they have left and the roles that they have played in my life as well as in the lives of many others. 

Who will fill those roles now? Who can possibly fill the shoes of these amazing individuals that have touched our lives? Who can now be the mentors and the examples of love, service, acceptance, and hard work? Who will with wisdom and understanding teach us how to hold on to the very best things about our culture in this ever changing world that wants us to assimilate? Who will correct us and our children about the little but important things that are slowly being lost…like saying “tulou” and bowing low when walking in front of anyone, how to put others needs before yourself, how to work your very hardest then put your trust in God, how to care for and respect your elders, how to take pride in where you live and what you have even if you have very little?

I guess we’re suppose to...but can we and are we?

 We have an obligation to the generations coming behind us…and we are blessed to have the teachings and examples of the generations that have preceded us. It’s a daunting responsibility and the shoes we have to fill are big. I guess its time to finally grow up. As I…As we…clutch on to our remaining elders...I hope to glean as much knowledge from them…to hear their stories…to learn at their feet… and to cherish those moments like we would the greatest treasure…Because they are.  I am so grateful for the legacy that they have left and are leaving for us.


Virginia "Tina" Ativalu
 I pray with everything in me that we…my generation and I…don’t jack things up :)

These are photos of many who have passed on, but have made a tremendous impact on my life. I am a better person because I was blessed to know them.
Kahi Ottley w/ my sister Tai 


Riki Peters
Kaui Sika

Vaikona Tuifua
Teena Fa'amaligi















 

Lisa Alai'asa



Bertha Samoa

Aunty Fau Galea'i


Uncle Lilo and Aunty Aiaga

My Grandpa Ativalu Tago

Luis Boton


  Aunty Vai Fa'amaligi
 
Dominina Taufa'asau


Aunty Vaitupu Vegas
Uncle Filifili Alai'asa
 

No comments:

Post a Comment